When Taking Your Pet to a New or Different Veterinarian What Documents Should Be Taken

Here are some important things to know when planning international pet travel: A: The following preparations will help you and your pet: The embassy or consulate of your pet`s destination country can give you details to ensure that you follow the entry procedures specific to your country. Does your pet need insurance? In fact, the answer may surprise you. For medical care and insurance against theft or even death, you should consider insurance for your pet. When your pet is outdoors, it can be exposed to many different wildlife such as skunks, raccoons, snakes, and other animals that can injure your pet or expose them to disease. Do not let your pet hunt or come into contact with wild animals – this can be dangerous for your pet and the wild animal. Next, be sure to keep records of your pet`s medical records. You never know when you`ll need to change veterinarians or have your pet seen by an emergency provider, and these records will be crucial. Here`s what you need to keep. Leave a lump sum to the person who inherits your pets.

If you don`t want to create a pet trust, you should leave the person receiving your pets a lump sum from your estate to help pay for the costs of caring for the pets. This will ensure that your pet is not a burden to its new sitter. Whether or not your pet has existing medical needs, you should find and note the location and contact information of the nearest emergency veterinarian 24/7 at your new location. Then you never have to worry about being prepared when it comes to taking care of your pet in the best possible way. If you do not meet all the requirements of the destination country, you may be denied transport, quarantined or returned to the United States at your expense. Contact the USDA-APHIS Customer Service Call Center at 844-820-2234 or visit the USDA-APHIS Pet Travel website for import requirements. Airlines may require a signed declaration that your pet has not been sedated prior to the flight. Decide what type of coverage you need.

Not all pet insurance policies are created equal. Policies may include accident-only insurance policies that only cover serious accidents, time-limited policies that cover a period of time for a specific condition, maximum compensation policies that cover up to a certain amount per incident, and lifetime coverage that covers all matters for the life of the animal. An animal health certificate or veterinary control certificate (CVI) is an official document that your veterinarian completes after a thorough examination of your pet. The document certifies that your pet is disease-free and lists all the vaccines your pet is up to date on. It also contains detailed information about your pet, such as age, breed, and microchip information. You can only get a pet health certificate from a veterinarian licensed and accredited by the USDA. If you need a CVI to travel, make sure your veterinarian is also USDA accredited. A: It`s best to purchase an approved crate before traveling (from the local airline or pet store) so you have time to let your pet get used to the kennel and feel comfortable. If your pet is small and fits comfortably with an airline-approved airline, your pet can travel with you in the cabin. When you take your pet to a new veterinarian, there is always a risk that important communications will be interrupted.

To make sure your pet doesn`t miss anything crucial, ask your current veterinarian for a copy of your pet`s vaccination schedule, including when they last received each of their major vaccinations and when they should be handed over to the hospital. This way, you can be sure that you will never miss a punch when it comes to your pet`s basic medical needs. Write down your pet`s medical needs. If your pet has special medical needs, such as an allergy or disability, make sure you have clear records of this in your pet`s medical records. Again, this is important information for veterinarians who may work with your pet in the future, or for anyone who can sit for you. Your pet hurts someone or someone claims your pet attacked them A: Always check with the airline and your veterinarian well in advance. If your pet is travelling in the hold and temperatures at the departure or destination airport are expected to be below 45°F, your pet will definitely need a certificate of acclimatization to travel. Some airlines may require certificates of acclimatization, even though temperatures should not be below 45°F. Keep in mind that not all animals are eligible for the issuance of a certificate of acclimatization, so your veterinarian may not issue a certificate of acclimatization, even if an airline requires it for your pet`s travel. Are you going to the vet? Be prepared to make the most of your visit. Find out about the upper limit of your insurance policy.

Most policies have an upper limit, but it can be per incident or per calendar year. A policy that costs more, but only limits each year, can be more valuable than a policy that limits every incident. A: This is a form that your veterinarian may consider departing from federal low temperature regulations for animals traveling in the hold, as outlined in the Animal Welfare Act. In this article, we`ll cover the basics of legal pet ownership, the types of documents you`ll need to prove it, what you need in a custody battle over your pet, the paperwork needed in an emergency, all the different types of pet papers, and how to stay on top of things. Many veterinarians require a check-in visit for new customers. But even if they don`t, it`s good to welcome your pet so you can both meet their new vet. If your pet is stressed about going to the vet, take him to the new office several times and give him a treat, then leave. I hope they start associating the new office with good things so there is less anxiety when their first date finally arrives. Start planning early.

Sure, you might think you have a lot of time, but no one knows what`s going to happen in the future. Make your estate plan for your pets at the time you get a pet to make sure they are protected. This breed certificate form is required for all cats and dogs and must be signed by a licensed veterinarian. If the animal is of mixed breed, this form must indicate the predominant breed with the word « mixed » or « mixed ». Pay attention to your preventive agents and optional vaccines. Although less critical than the vaccines required by law, be aware of any preventative medications such as heartworm or flea protection and elective vaccines you want to give your pet. If your pet has a medical problem in the future, you will know exactly what he has and what he does not have. You will need a veterinary inspection certificate to travel, and some airlines will require a certificate of acclimatization. Both certificates can only be completed and signed by a federally accredited veterinarian. If your veterinarian is not federally accredited, you will need to find an accredited veterinarian in your area by contacting your USDA regional office.

Yes, almost all commercial airlines require a pet health certificate (one for each animal) to be on a flight. Airlines vary depending on the period in which a health certificate must be issued for your pet. For example, some airlines require a health certificate within 14 days of travel, while others recommend obtaining the certificate within 10 days prior to travel. While you`re in the planning phase of your trip, contact your airline to see if you need any additional documents in addition to a veterinary inspection certificate. Some airlines have their own forms that must be completed in addition to a health certificate. Please ensure that the licensed veterinarian specifies that the animal is fit to travel and that there is no risk of birth during the entire trip. If the health certificate indicates that the animal was born, the deadline for submission of tenders must be more than 48 hours after port in order to be accepted for transport. Females with young lactating animals and unweaned animals are not accepted for transport. Pets must be 8 weeks old to travel. A: Here are some other things to consider: Service dogs need all the documents already discussed, as well as documentation, to prove that they are truly service animals. This documentation gives them access to areas where dogs normally cannot go. Here`s what you need to know about registering and documenting service dogs.

Keep the licence documents and let your pet wear the tag. Your licence comes with a paper form that you must keep with your pet`s important documents. Also, attach the tag to your pet`s collar and insist that it is always worn. For animals transported to an international destination, visit the USDA-APHIS Pet Travel website for documentation requirements for your destination country. These requirements may include vaccinations, testing and import permit applications, which may take weeks or months prior to travel. We recommend that you start this process as soon as you know your goal. Veterinary records. Keep your pet`s veterinary and vaccination records up to date and make sure you have up-to-date copies handy. Consider a pet trust. A pet trust is a great solution to ensure the ongoing care of your pet after your death. You can create a trust and fund it from your estate, and then make sure your pet is properly cared for, with enough funds for that care after you leave.

Purchase your license from the district licensing department. If you are unable to obtain your license directly from the veterinarian, contact the city or county licensing department.